Upon his arrival from Belgium in 1909, Rev. Fr. Pierre Cornelis de Brouwer, out of desire and determination of the Belgian CICM missionaries, founded Pasig Catholic School in 1913. It was known as “Escuela Catolica” during the early 1900’s. Starting with only 28 pupils in June 1913, Rev. Fr. Cornelis’ enthusiasm became well known among his parishioners. The number of pupils increased almost daily.
Each year during the 1910’s, a class was being added annually. No time or efforts were spared for the school and Catholic education was strongly advertised. As the years went by, finding space for classrooms became a problem. When the rooms became overpopulated, even the “salas” was used as a classroom, practically converting the whole “convento” into a school.
In 1916, the American government finally recognized the primary school. In 1920, the intermediate levels got approval for operations. As the population grew in 1931, Rev. Fr. Victor De Klerck saw the urgency of constructing what would be the school’s first building, composed of eight classrooms built in the Church patio. In 1939-41, the Urbano Building was constructed under the administration of Rev. Fr. Urbain Timmermans.
Pasig Catholic College was originally incorporated in accordance with Philippine Laws on 24 August 1915. After World War II, the Articles of Incorporation were duly reconstituted on 12 August 1948 and filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC). The transcript of these Amended Articles of Incorporation was issued on 03 February 1949.
The arrival of Fr. Roger Bruno Eduard Tjolle from Washington D.C. in 1950 seemed to open a new chapter for the school as it is now known as Pasig Catholic College, as secondary and tertiary levels were now recognized. In the process, Fr. Tjolle introduced the American brand of education to the Philippines through Pasig Catholic College.
Several physical changes were seen during the administration of Rev. Fr. Jozef Van den Daelen from 1957 to 1962. In 1965, School Director Rev. Fr. Karel Von Ooteghem appointed lay Filipino Administrators to key positions in the academic levels of the school.
Founded by CICM, PCC went through Filipinization in 1973, with then Msgr. Gaudencio B. Rosales, concurrently acting as PCC Director and MAPSA President (1973-1979), Msgr. Manuel C. Sobrevinas as School Director (1979-1993), followed by Msgr. Emmanuel V. Sunga (1993-1997), Msgr. Manuel G. Gabriel as School President (1997-2003), and Msgr. Gerardo O. Santos (2004-present), replacing the title “Director” of years past.
In 2001, PCC established the School of Graduate Studies and the Early Childhood Education. In 2003, the Diocese of Pasig was formally recognized in Vatican, Rome and its Founding Bishop is Francisco C. San Diego, D.D.
The Philippine Accrediting Association of Schools, Colleges and Universities (PAASCU) granted both the Grade School and High School Departments Level I or “candidate status.” A formal visit in 2001 elevated the two academic departments Level II or “member status.” The tertiary level is currently under “applicant status.” In 2005, PAASCU gave the primary level as 5-year “re-accredited status.” Just recently, it was the secondary level’s turn to be given a “re-accredited status” retroactive 2005 good for five years.
In its early years, the Spanish Missionaries placed the whole country under the special protection of the Immaculate Conception by making her its patron saint. Pasig, likewise known as the Parish of the Immaculate Conception, is one of the many throughout the country which have it as their patron saint. It is only fitting, therefore, that Pasig Catholic College, now the Diocesan school of Pasig, adopt the Immaculate Conception as its beloved mother and its special protector. Mary’s hidden life is an eloquent proof of deep faith, courage, wisdom, and availability to the Father’s will which the institution wishes her students to emulate.
It is noted that PCC’s growth as an institution has been a graceful process of change over the years. The school continues to profess its thrusts as it faces the challenges of the future, remaining true to its commitment, especially now even more as a Diocesan school, to evangelization, quality Catholic education, academic excellence and social transformation.
As the college community looks forward in celebrating 98 years of evangelization and quality Catholic education, PCC continues to be a living testament to its origins: re-rooting its Catholic heritage handed down by its Belgian founders, telling and re-telling the story of Jesus beyond borders and embracing the world so that all would know how great God’s love is, becoming vision bearers and gospel promoters within and outside the community to spread God’s Word and be a living proof of God’s goodness, living the spirit of Nazareth the way Christ did some 2,000 years ago and now goes one with nature and the environment by taking a hand at ecology. In all these, PCC remains faithful to its humble beginnings.
From the old wooden structure of the original Urbano Building to the new Gabriel Building and Bishop San Diego Building of the new millennium, PCC remains a strong influence in the academic, social and spiritual transformation of its students, instilling discipline among them at their early age.
Starting this year, PCCians are encouraged to “Think Centennial” in preparation for their 100 years founding anniversary-as the academic institution holds its bold vision and lives with its enduring promise.
The institution is definitely looking forward to a future in its past with its evangelizing mission to the people of Pasig City and beyond, as originally envisioned by its founding Belgian Fathers, headed by Rev. Fr. Pierre Cornelis de Brouwer, CICM, and now under the shared vision of his present successor, Msgr. Gerardo O. Santos, Ed.D., and the college community-as PCC’s centenary fast approaches in 2013.
Pasig Catholic College is located just beside the Pasig Immaculate Conception Cathedral at Justice Ramon Jabson Street, Pasig City.